CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, June 23, 2008

Delpit

I agree with Delpit completely. There is a culture of power. I focused on one of her aspect of the culture of power. It is that “Those with power are least aware of- or least willing to acknowledge- its existence. Those with less power are often most aware of its existence” (24). I find this one the hardest to take in. It isn’t my fault it exists. She is able to back this up with many examples from people. One is a black graduate student talking about a class he has which is predominately white people. He says “I’m tired of arguing with those white people…now I’m just it is for the grade” (21). Other stories of other minorities discuss this issue. They all have the same message. They won’t listen, so I’ve given up. In those stories I realize it isn’t my fault there is a culture of power, but what is my fault is that I am doing nothing to help change it. I don’t have to be black to fight prejudices with them. It shouldn’t be you were born that way, so it’s your burden to bear. Nothing with change or it will change too slowly if that is the case.

0 comments: