CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, June 23, 2008

Me and SCWAAMP

When I think of the culture of power I think of SCWAAMP. Straightness, Christianity, whiteness, American ness, able- bodied ness, maleness and property ownership. I would consider myself all but the maleness, and could be taken as not able- bodied in the fact that I am Dyslexic and ADHD. Physical I am in great shape and am pretty athletic. I was usually one of the students who out preformed other kids in gym classes and sports. But academics were harder for me than most students, and I was given an IEP. As far as having to deal with sexism, I never really had to until I went to school after being home schooled. My family is not very sexist at all, except for when dating started. When I entered high school, my brother and I both started to date. I had to bring home the guys to meet my parents before they would let me go out with him alone. My brother would go over a girl’s house when no one else was home with them, and my dad would just say that he was ‘the man’. What’s more is my dad would do the speech about how he would kill the kid if he touched me. My dad would give the girls a hug and welcome them. I just stopped bringing boy’s home and talking about them. I would say I was hanging out with a friend, and go do whatever. My parents wondered what was up, and I just said that there wasn’t anyone worth it. My brother said that I had decided to be a lesbian. All I wanted was to be treated like my brother, who is my equal sibling.

0 comments: