CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, June 23, 2008

Kozol and Goldberg

Kozol to me did a great job advocating for the under privileged. He did not go off numbers from research or dig though other book and re-state what they had already said. He went to a place of the under privileged and had them tell him of there life. My favorite part of the piece was Cliffie, a young boy who Kozol walked and talk with. He acted very much like my idea of a seven year old boy, except that he seemed unnerved by death. He tells Kozol he saw a boy get shot in the head, and right afterwards ask “Would you like a chocolate chip cookie?” (6). I found this sad and disturbing. A seven year old boy talks like eating a cookie and watching a boy get shot are the kinds of things that are in the same sentence all the time. Every seven year old I know would not be thinking about cookies had the seen that.

I thought Goldberg was harsh when he talked about Kozol. He put blame on Kozol, and Kozol alone for making kids hate America. He say that “the once-outrageous idea that eachers should use their classrooms to espouse liberal/ radical political views- i.e., to propagandize- can be traced directly to Jonathan Kozol” (294). I do not find Kozol to write propaganda, though I have not read a lot of his work. It is a clear clash of two different ideologies.

0 comments: